IREX/TCG

Monday, May 11, 2015

minus 26 days!

The countdown continues!  I am feeling very excited but very, very overwhelmed with it all.

26 days until departure to explore the world and apply my Global Education work as part of the International Field Experience.

24 days until the last day of school.  I will be completing my 31st year as a public school teacher. Somehow, despite all of my experience, the end of the year is still overwhelming for me.  Every year at this time, I look at the work I have to do to finish the year and the time I have left to do it and wonder if it is possible--but every year I get it done.

I am excited for my itinerary.  Meeting my traveling colleagues in February was a treat.  The Global Education Symposium was a unique and inspiring experience.  Increasingly, I feel less and less respect for myself and my colleagues as a teachers.  In stark and welcoming contrast, I was treated as a true professional in Washington by the IREX staff and the guest presenters; I even appreciated the treatment by the Mandarin Oriental hotel staff!  At any rate, what a great experience!

In April, I joined our IREX trip leader, Emily Lester, and my colleagues, in our pre-departure webinar.  Lots of questions answered, lots of questions still remain.  Flying to Washington to join my colleagues and then continuing on the Bangalore via Frankfurt.  Will leave home in Lansing at about 7:30 a.m. on Saturday June 8.  Will arrive in India on Monday June 10 at 1:15 a.m.  Those skies better be friendly!

Will spend June 10 to June 12 in Bangalore.  From there I will be traveling with Erik Remsen, a social studies teacher from Vermont, to our host city and school.  Our city is Malappuram in Kerala State and our school is Kendriya Vidyalaya (notice the cut and paste) and our host teacher is Thomas Varghese who teaches economics to 11th and 12th graders. Thomas is part of the IREX prograom and ILEP and taught at Roosevelt High School in Mantua, Ohio for 6 months.  

So, there is much to think about and do and write.  But I am ready!  I want to learn a few phrases in the native language which is Malayalam.  There are some logistical concerns which I need to tie up and I have to find a little more tolerance for Indian food and extreme heat!

So what am I most looking forward to?  Well, the students, of course.  I want ot see and hear them.  I want to find out about their experience as students in India and what their hopes and dreams are.  

Naturally.

26 more days!




No comments:

Post a Comment