IREX/TCG

Sunday, May 31, 2015

May 31 From my dining room table

Yikes!  6 days to go and with that timing comes a commitment on my part to post to this blog regularly.

What I know so far.  All travel has been booked.  The highlight will likely be a 1 hour prop plane ride a local airline to go from Bangalore to Malapurram  where I will meet my host teacher Mr. Thomas P.V.   Thomas taught for 6 months at a high school near Kent, Ohio as a part of the ILEP program.  He mentioned in one of his e-mails that he wanted to go to Detroit to visit but was advised against it...uhmmmm...  Perhaps someone in the Buckeye State was showing their anti-Michigan bias?

I am excited and a little nervous to be in the school in Malapurram.  There is a packed schedule of meetings with teachers and students.  I will also be teaching the same lesson on American Culture a few times as well as a lesson on the Holocaust.  What an opportunity!  I am going to modify and use the lesson I am working on for the Museum Teacher Fellow Program at the United States Holocaust Museum.  Ha!  When I go to my follow-up meeting at the Museum in July, I am sure I am going to be the only one to say I taught our group's lesson in India!

 I think I have purchased everything I need so the packing routine is next.  Got to make that decision to go small!  May need some support!

Today's goal while I am in India is to learn and play some CRICKET!  Yeah!  I may need some lessons from the kids at school so I can dominate from the start!

Lastly, IREX sent me a beautiful small but excellent Sony camera to document my travels.  I put in the battery and plugged it in and it was dead.  I frantically e-mailed Emily who is my IREX group leader.  I need a camera!  She went out of her way to get me replacement info.  I thought, "maybe I should to to Geek Squad and see if its just a dead battery."  I went in there and I apparently had put the battery in upside down.  Sorry Emily.

I hope that is not an omen for the trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment