IREX/TCG

Thursday, June 18, 2015

June 18 after my first hot shower in 5 days at the Regency Soorya in Malapurram

Many happenings in India.  Over the last two days, I have made cultural presentations at three different schools, had a traditional dinner (as in 6 men ate while at least 12 other children and women watched) at the home of a teacher, taught my lesson on Jewish Resistance to the Holocaust and was greeted by a marching band and showered with fresh cut flowers at Sacred Heart School.  Just like home!  I am sure that Sara will have the Detroit symphony orchestra and the Detroit Lions cheerleaders on hand for my arrival back in the U.S.

Too many incredible moments to even list. 

I learned today about the tragic church shooting in Charleston, South Carolina.  Beyond horrible.  After learning of this human disaster, I was haunted by a question and answer session I had at Aura Edify School yesterday.  We visited what is essentially a private, for profit charter school on Wednesday.  Beautiful building.  Small class sizes.  A dynamic principal.  We met with faculty for a short presentation and a question and answer session. 

One man, a French and social science teacher, challenged Erik and I from the beginning.  “What do you do when American students voice anti-establishment views in school.”  Alright buddy, game on!  There was some harmless banter about the political and economic philosophies of Noam Chomsky but then he went for the solar plexus.  “I heard from a reliable source that there are more guns in Houston than there are people” he began.  From that point he suggested that the aura of violence in the world emanates from the U.S. and it starts with gun violence on our streets. 

Ouch.  As some of you may know, this is a real issue for me as my daughter was the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting and thankfully received only superficial wounds. 

It is important to spread the global message and be ambassadors of good will and global understanding.  It is also important to know what the world thinks of you. 
Something deep to think about.

And the shower was incredible.  Turns out that for four days when I was turning the shower handle to hot it was actually going to cold.  When I turned the handle to cold, the water gets hot (well, warm).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Interesting points for the last couple of days

*Students are amazed that we have a separate parking lot for student vehicles.  At our school in India, only 5 teachers come to school by car.  One in 20 Indian adults own a car.

*Indian students certainly know what a selfie is.  I have taken numerous selfies at their request.

*At Sacred Heart School today, a student asked what teaching strategies we used in the U.S. to illicit maximum cognitive results.  Well, those weren’t the exact words but pretty close.  Good question!

*We have been the focus of numerous cultural performances including classical dances, folk dances and beautiful singing.  Incredibly talented students.  Today, we were treated to a vocal performance of a Michael Jackson song and a solo dance number by a young man worthy of an American TV dance competition show.  Also, talented, just different.

*Attended my first class in the Hindi language today.  Very interesting and learned a tremendous amount about the Hindi alphabet and the various language families.  The students start learning Hindi, which is their fourth language after Malayalam (their mother tongue) English and Sanskrit in grade 7.  I clearly needed the beginner section of Hindi.  Maybe I should learn to speak English gooder first.

*Unfortunately, I have not improved significantly on picking up the accents of many Indian adults and students who speak excellent English.  Erik is way better at it than me and I often look to him for help.  Awkward and embarrassing. 

*Google my name in Malayalam.  My picture was in the local Malapurram newspaper.  Not sure what the article says.  In fact, I have no idea.

*The principal at Aura Edify School is very excited about classroom exchanges for students using technology.  He also has an internship program for American university students who are studying education.  He will provide housing and a small living stipend.  Wow!

*Ramadan begins today and 80 to 90% of the residents of Malapurram are Muslim.  We are going to a Muslim teacher’s house tonight after sundown for dinner.  I am really looking forward to this experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment