IREX/TCG

Thursday, June 4, 2015

June 4 from my desk top computer in the "man cave"

School's out for summer!  Completed year 31 of teaching.  Enough!  On to more important things.

Leaving for the airport in Detroit in 31 hours.  I think I have mostly everything in order.

Passport and visa--check
Rupees and a few Euros--check
Lesson copied and ready to teach--check
Suitcase packed--pretty much
Umbrella--check
Cricket bat--where is that thing?

So I wonder what it is like to go to school in another country?  Though I have traveled extensively in the last 6 years, I am not sure I can answer that question.  The only time I spent time in a school was at the Center for Humanistic Education in Israel which was very, very interesting.  I am going to learn much more about the Indian education system.  In addition to my intensive experience at Kendriya Vidyalaya in Malapurram (can you tell I cut and pasted that?) I will be visiting several schools in Bangalore and Delhi.

In what ways will these schools be similar and different?

How important are the arts and what structure is in place to promote and teach them?
How important is student voice and is there meaningful student government?
How important are sports and other extra curricular activities?
Is physical education and health taught?
How about special needs students?
What do Indian students learn about American history?
What does diversity look like in these schools?
Is there prom, dances and other school sponsored social activities?
What is the relationship between teacher and student?
What does career prep mean?
Who goes to school?  Who does not?

Do they have standardized testing that wastes large portions of instructional time (whoops, a little too political).

While I am not sure if I will be an expert, I am quite sure I will gain insights into this system.  It's going to be really interesting.

I invited several of the English as a Second Language students to help me clean my classroom today. Most can speak better English than I can.  Currently, we have a large number of Pakistani students who had no hesitation supporting me in this endeavor.  Of course, they had no problem expressing their opinions too. They are a great group from which I have learned so much.  One of the student's mother made me lunch one day.  Whoa, spicy!  I cannot wait to have this experience and to return back to school and share with all students, but especially the international students.

Here is a couple of pictures of my international students, or ESL or ELL or whatever.

They're some of my favs!




Why is it that students all over the world are compelled to give the peace sign when the camera is on? Check out my guy in South Korea in 2013.  I don't get it?  What are they learning about Richard Nixon in these schools?


I am going to find the answer to this!  I am on a mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment